Back to "Chamber Information"
To promote servant leadership through an awareness program that combines key community issues and enhanced leadership skill development to advance community stewardship.
How is the Elkhart Leadership Academy different from other leadership training programs? It's our focus. The sole purpose of the Elkhart Leadership Academy is to provide a venue where an in-depth understanding of community issues and awareness along with critical leadership skills are presented and then experienced.
"To ensure that every graduate will take away with them...
- A heightened awareness concerning the Elkhart Community, its needs and issues.
- An enhanced desire to become a community steward.
- An increased understanding of the essential leadership skills necessary to be an advocate for change.
- A personal network that can be tapped to bring people together to address community problems.
Many of Elkhart County's most visible leaders are graduates of the Elkhart Leadership Academy. Past graduates have excelled in their respective business and community leadership roles. Most will cite their participation in this program as having a significant impact on their ability to grow as individuals as well as on their commitment to bettering the community in which they live and work.
Testimonials from Graduates
“It has been my pleasure to be associated with The Greater Elkhart Chamber Leadership Academy. The program teaches all that attend what Elkhart has to offer in government, art and culture, education, and community. This program makes me proud of what dedicated individuals can contribute to a community by combining teamwork and leadership.”
“The Leadership Academy is a great way to learn more about Elkhart. It has produced many leaders who have taken the initiative in making Elkhart a better place to live. You will only understand what it’s about, if you experience it first hand!!”
- 2 day (overnight) retreat
- Study of behavioral styles
- Quality of life issues, both personal and professional
- Introduction to local arts and culture
- A look at government, entrepreneurship and the local economy
- An overview of the local educational system
- Ethical decision making/diversity experiences
- Conflict resolution
- Project experiences and overview of the year
- Graduation and Alumni luncheon
Participation in the Elkhart Leadership Academy is a full nine-month commitment from September through May. Attendance at the overnight retreat and eight subsequent sessions is mandatory in order to graduate. Sessions are held from 7:45 am to 5:00 pm one day a month, generally on the second Wednesday. A complete schedule will be given to all participants at the Retreat. Participants are expected to spend a minimal amount of time working on an outside group project and one year Board Internship.
To assure the best experience possible, participation is limited to 30 individuals. Recruitment begins in March of each year for the program that starts in September. If you think the Elkhart Leadership Academy is right for you or someone in your organization, click here to download a .pdf file of the nomination form and employers agreement. (Adobe Acrobat Reader required)